Thursday, February 26, 2009

Jewelry inspired by fabric. Driven by vision. (Part One)

There are a few questions I always get about JāLa, like: 1) What does JāLa mean? 2) What inspired you to create JāLa? And, 3) What is behind the tagline and why did you make that such a prominent part of your business?

Since I get (and welcome) these questions quite often, I thought I’d revolve my first few blog posts around them. Part one of this little mini-series focuses on the name.

What’s in a name?


Do your parents have one of those friends that feels like your own? Like this person is just really cool and fun to be with, and you develop y
our own friendship with him or her? Well, Jane Lefco was like that to me. One of my parents’ closest friends, Jane was one of my favorite people in the world. She was the kind of person who made your spirit light up just by being with her. To put it simply, she was just fun.

Last year (2008), Jane died suddenly and unexpectedly. She was only 58. I couldn’t believe it.

When it came time to name
my business, I wanted to think of just the right name - it had to match the unique nature of the jewelry and reflect the message behind the jewelry - to be yourself and the rest will follow™.

I had a few ideas and
then it came to me. JaLa. To honor Jane (mainly through the 'Ja' and the 'L', of course). She meant so much to me that I wanted to find some way to honor her memory and her life. And it felt so perfect as she was truly a unique individual who, to me, was just herself.

Every time I say or read the name, JāLa, I think of her. I picture in my mind her reactions to my different pieces and I hear so clearly her signature excitement and natural curiosity in response.

Leave a Comment & Get 10% Off!

I would love to hear from you! Do you have a friendship like the one I had with Jane? A family friend who is special to you? Leave a comment below telling us about your special relationship with this person (s/he can still be alive!) and get 10% off any JaLa Designs piece!

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for part two – what inspired me to start JāLa!


~ Rachel
www.jala-designs.com

2 comments:

  1. Congrats and welcome to the whold world of blogging lol! Congrats and your page looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new blog! Naming a business is tough stuff... I like your story. When I named my business - I decided to focus on one my favorite feelings - and that is that warm feeling you get when you sit in the sun. I also wanted the name to have somewhat of an international flare as I had just returned from living in Europe. I chose: Soleado [so-lay-ah’-do] - which means sunny in Spanish!

    ReplyDelete