Tuesday, August 25, 2009

To Adapt Or Not To Adapt. That Is The Question....

When you have a vision for something and you execute that vision only to realize that what worked "on paper" did not work in "real life", do you hold tight to that vision or do you adapt?

I had to make such a decision in regard to one of the necklaces I designed. After sketching out a necklace, picking out the fabrics and stones for it (the really fun part!) and then making the necklace, I loved how it came out (see photo below).

It looked great on, but it didn't feel completely comfortable around the neck
. So, while the necklace was one of my favorites, I had to decide whether to stubbornly hold tight to my original vision or adapt.

Now, I know this decision isn't on the scale of deciding healthcare reform. But I find that these "smaller-scale" issues often reflect how we address or handle those "larger-scale" decisions.

Having always been skilled at changing course when necessary, I decided to adapt. I kept the lower section of the
necklace that had the beautiful stone drops, but changed the neckline so that that section of the piece hung more comfortably around the neck. Check out the tweaked design to the right! To see the design on my web site, click here!

While I hated to give up the original design at first, I love the new one just as much. And I hope you do too!

Even more so, though, I hope when you're faced with a similar situation in life or in business, that you choose to adapt when the data tells you that you should. Because, to me, adapting is one of the keys to success in business and, more importantly, in life.

To adapting!

~ Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment